City & Police Federal Credit Union

Online Banking

Account Access
Login     New User?

About Us

About us

Our History

On June 26, 1934, the Credit Union System was established in America when Congress enacted the Federal Credit Union Act. A Credit Union was defined as a not for profit organization of people who shared a common bond, usually employers, who saved together and made low cost loans to each other with their savings.

The Jacksonville Police Credit Union was chartered on January 14, 1935. The credit union was located within the Jacksonville Police station at 711 Liberty Street. Several years later the name was shortened, as was becoming the trend, to the Jax Police Credit Union, which it remained for the next 55 years.

In 1989, at the request of the Florida Credit Union Guaranty Corporation and the Florida Department of Banking and Finance, the Jax Police Credit Union acquired the assets of the Greater Jax Metro Credit Union. At the time, the Greater Jax Metro Credit Union was composed primarily of the City Motor Pool, Parks and Recreation and the Jacksonville Transportation Authority. The Greater Jax Metro Credit Union had unfortunately found themselves in the situation of not having sufficient resources to continue competing in a rapidly growing industry. The Greater Jax Metro office on Post Street became the second Jax Police Credit Union office location.

Also in 1989, the Fraternal Order of Police purchased the Finkelstein building on Beach Boulevard. The initial mortgage for purchase and renovation was funded by the Jax Police Credit Union and was paid off by the FOP in only a few short years. The FOP leased space to the Jax Police Credit Union and allowed for a drive-thru location. This office became our third office location.

The next major milestone was in 1991 when the Florida Credit Union Guaranty Corporation, which insured our deposits, decided to merge into the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund. The Jax Police Credit Union converted to the Federal Insurance and further converted to a Federal Charter to become the Jacksonville Police Federal Credit Union.

During 2001, Jacksonville Police Federal Credit Union officially changed its name to City & Police Federal Credit Union in an effort to improve the promotion of our two major employer groups; City of Jacksonville and Northeast Florida Law Enforcement.

In 2002, we constructed and opened an Operations Center and Mandarin Branch office, which includes a lobby, drive-thrus, safe deposit boxes, an ATM and a research facility. In 2007, we constructed and opened a full service Northside Branch office at 2409 Dunn Avenue, which also includes a lobby, drive-thrus, safe deposit boxes, and an ATM.

Which brings us to the present. We are a full service financial institution with five convenient locations. Best of all we understand our purpose; "Serving the Financial Needs of Our City's Best".

Unauthorized access or use of this website is not permitted and may constitute a crime punishable by law.
NCUA Equal Housing Lender
Routing # 263079289